As a daily part of our lives, showering seems to be a simple and straightforward task. However, according to various experts, there are many things we are doing wrong and that may be harmful to our skin and health. Here are 11 things you are doing wrong when you shower.
1. Taking too long: While a long shower can be relaxing, it can be damaging to your skin. Hot water strips the skin of its natural oils, causing dryness, itching, and even eczema.
2. Showering too frequently: Frequent showers can also cause dryness and damage to the skin’s protective barrier. Experts recommend limiting showers to once a day and every other day if possible.
3. Not using the right water temperature: Lukewarm water is the ideal temperature for showering. Hot water can damage skin and cold water can cause the pores to tighten, leaving skin feeling dry and tight.
4. Using harsh soaps: Soaps with high pH levels, fragrances, and chemicals can cause damage to the skin’s protective barrier. Look for soaps with mild ingredients, such as glycerin or oatmeal.
5. Not rinsing properly: Leaving soap or shampoo on the skin can cause irritation and dryness. Make sure to rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
6. Scrubbing too hard: Using a loofah or scrubber too aggressively can cause tiny tears in the skin, leading to inflammation and irritation. Instead, use gentle, circular motions to clean the skin.
7. Using a dirty bath towel: Towels can harbor bacteria and germs, especially when left damp. Make sure to wash towels frequently and let them dry completely between use.
8. Not moisturizing afterwards: After showering, skin is at its most absorbent, making it the perfect time to apply moisturizer. Look for fragrance-free, gentle moisturizers to soothe and protect the skin.
9. Not showering after exercising: Sweat and bacteria can build up on the skin after a workout, leading to acne and skin irritation. Make sure to shower and wash workout clothes after exercising.
10. Using hot water on your hair: Hot water can damage the hair, causing it to become dry and brittle. Instead, use lukewarm water and finish with a cool rinse to seal the cuticle and promote shine.
11. Skipping the shower cap: Shower caps can protect the hair from being exposed to water and steam, which can cause damage and frizz. Make sure to use a shower cap to protect hair during showering or bathing.
In conclusion, taking a shower seems like a simple task, but there are many things we are doing wrong that can harm our skin and health. By following these tips and adopting healthy showering habits, we can keep our skin and hair healthy and glowing.