Stop Calling It “Gap Teeth” Or “Open Teeth” Here Is The Correct Word To Say And Other Health Facts
February 6, 2023
The correct term to describe what is commonly referred to as “gap teeth” or “open teeth” is diastema. A diastema is a gap or space between two or more teeth. It is a normal variation in tooth spacing and can occur naturally or as a result of other factors such as improper bite, thumb-sucking, or loss of baby teeth.
Other health facts related to diastema:
- It can cause difficulty in speaking or biting.
- It can also lead to gum irritation and infection.
- In some cases, it can be closed with orthodontic treatment or dental bonding.
- In rare cases, diastema can indicate underlying health issues such as dental problems or hormonal imbalances.
- Good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing regularly, can help prevent the development of diastema and other dental problems.