According to MedicalNewsToday, dark spots on the skin do not need treatment, but some people might wish to remove the spots for cosmetic purposes.
If a person wants to remove their dark spots, a dermatologist may suggest one of the following treatments for dark spots on the skin:
1. Laser treatment: Several types of lasers are available. The most popular laser to cure dark spots on the skin uses an intense pulse light laser. The light aims at the melanin and breaks up the dark spots.
2. Microdermabrasion: During microdermabrasion, a dermatologist applies a special device that has an abrasive surface to take away the outer layer of the skin. This treatment encourages new collagen growth, which might help decrease spots.
3. Chemical peels: A chemical peel involves using a solution on the skin, which exfoliates the surface, resulting in new skin growth. It may gradually remove dark spots on the skin.
4. Cryotherapy: Cryotherapy is a process that involves using liquid nitrogen on the dark patches to freeze them, which injures the skin cells. The skin usually heals lighter afterward.
5. Prescription skin-lightening cream: Prescription-lightening cream works by bleaching the skin. It majorly works slowly and takes many months to reduce the appearance of dark spots. Hydroquinone, which is the active ingredient in creams, stops the skin from making melanin. Prescription products seem to have a strength of 3 to 4%