Suicide bomber blows himself up near Turkish parliament: Explosion and gun fire rock Ankara with one attacker dead and another arrested

A suicide bomber has detonated an explosive device near Turkey’s parliament in a terrorist attack, the country’s interior minister said. 

Ali Yerlikaya, 54, added that a second assailant was killed in a shootout with police officers on Sunday, two of whom were injured during the attack in Turkey’s capital, Ankara. 

The two assailants reportedly arrived at the Office of the Interior Ministry, just north of Ankara’s main parliamentary building, in a light commercial vehicle.  

Reports of a loud explosion in the Kizilay area, in the heart of the city, at around 9:30 am local time were followed by reports of gunfire. 

Security forces have since set up barriers in the area, while TV footage showed bomb squads working near a parked vehicle in the area, located near the Turkish Grand National Assembly and other government buildings. 

Turkish bomb squads were seen in the area shortly after reports of the explosion came in

Armed soldiers were seen outside the Interior Ministry building

A weapon that appears to be a spent rocket launcher was seen on the road outside the Interior Ministry building

Turkish police have cordoned off the south side of the Interior Ministry building, while the road to the east of the building has been shut down. 

What appears to be a rocket launcher was seen lying on the road outside the Interior Ministry building. 

Soldiers, as well as emergency services, are currently posted outside the government building. 

Armed soldiers were also seen on top of nearby buildings. 

The attack occurred hours before Turkey’s parliament was due to reopen following a summer recess. 

Lawmakers were expected to be in the building at 2pm today. 

Armed soldiers were seen on the roofs of nearby buildings

Police have cordoned off the south side of the Interior Ministry building

It is not currently known whether the attack claimed any lives or caused any more injuries. 

Turkey’s interior minister said in a post on X, formerly Twitter: ‘Our struggle will continue until the last terrorist is neutralised.’

No group or individual has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, though Kurdish and far-left militant groups, as well as ISIS, have carried out deadly attacks in Turkey in the past. 

Ankara’s chief prosecutor has launched an investigation into what it called a terrorist attack. 

More to follow.  


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *